LUOS aims to create a culture that respects and values each others’ differences, that promotes dignity, equality and diversity, and that encourages individuals to develop and maximise their true potential.
LUOS is committed to promoting equality, taking positive action and tackling unlawful discrimination on the grounds of race, colour, nationality, ethnic origin, gender, marital status, disability, religious beliefs, age or sexual orientation in every aspect of its work.
Our Diversity and Equality Policy and Procedure aims to remove any unfair and discriminatory practices within the organisation and to encourage full contributions from its diverse community.
LUOS will therefore endeavour to ensure that:
- services are based on consultation with those who receive the services and positive steps are taken to include excluded groups in decision making;
- all services are flexible and responsive to the changing needs in the community;
- information on services is widely available and where necessary targeted to ensure maximum awareness of provisions;
- systems are developed to audit and monitor service delivery and user satisfaction;
- an accessible complaints procedure will be developed to ensure against discrimination in service allocation and delivery;
- positive action programmes will be developed to target the needs usually excluded groups;
- in advertising and publicity Living Under One Sun will be presented as an organisation committed to promoting equality of access to employment and services.
LUOS is an equal opportunity employer and also aims to provide a service that is inclusive, promotes equality and does not discriminate against its clients, customers and volunteers in the means by which they can access the services and goods supplied by the LUOS. LUOS believes that all our Directors, staff, volunteers and users are entitled to be treated with respect and dignity.
The Board of Directors is responsible for overseeing the implementation of our policy and shall review the policy and its effectiveness as and when necessary.